2nd Grade Policies and Procedures
Arrival - Students should not arrive before 7:15. Breakfast is served from 7:15 - 7:35. Students MUST be at school by 7:45 every day. Our day begins with announcements and bell work, which start promptly at 7:50.
- Homework will come home every Monday and is due every Friday along with their home readers. Homework will only include topics they have already been introduced to at school either this year or last year. Please try to look over your child's homework when it is completed. By looking it over, you will be able to see if they have mastered the skill or if they are still be struggling with it.
- S.O.A.R. Folder - The "Staying Organized and Responsible" folder must go home and come back to school on a daily basis. It will have a new calendar and newsletter at the beginning of every month. It has a pocket for homework, and a behavior chart which MUST be signed at the end of every week. Graded papers will come home in a separate folder on Thursdays. Please encourage your child to be responsible with their folder by checking it every day, making sure their completed homework is in it every Friday, and by asking you to sign it every weekend.
- Behavior Chart/Conduct - Please check the chart daily, even though we don't necessarily mark in it daily. No news is good news! The back of the chart has open spaces that we will use to jot down notes about behavior that we feel you need to know. On Friday, we will fill in the front by putting a check mark by the area that your child struggled with during the week. The behavior chart helps us determine conduct grades. It MUST be signed at the end of every week.
- Grades - You will receive a progress report every 3 weeks during each 9-weeks period and a report card at the end of each 9-weeks period.
- Math - all daily grades are entered once and weighted the same and major assessment grades entered twice.
- Reading grades are weighted as follows: 10% - grammar and spelling, 90% reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills.
- Library - your child will be going to the library once every two weeks to check out books, but will be allowed to visit more frequently during the open-circulation times. Please help them be responsible with their library books if they bring them home. You will be responsible for any lost or damaged books.
- Change of transportation - Please call the school before 2:00 if you need to get a message to your child about a change in their transportation.